1 Measure temperature in the armpit
The armpit is considered the most accurate and common location for measuring body temperature in children. You can use an electronic thermometer (soft end or hard end) or a mercury thermometer to measure the child's armpit temperature as follows:
- Use: You need to shake the thermometer in the top-down direction, so that the mercury column drops to the 35-degree mark . Place the tip of the thermometer in the recess of the baby's armpit, and at the same time the thermometer dial is facing inwards of the young person. Hold and clamp the baby's hand close to the baby's body for 5 minutes , then read the result.
- Use: You just need to press the open button, then proceed to place the electronic thermometer in the baby's armpit. Hold and clamp your baby's hand close to the body until you hear a "beep, beep" sound from the thermometer, then take it out and read the result.
Advantages of measuring temperature in the armpit:
- Easy to operate, for high accuracy.
- The cost of buying a thermometer is relatively cheap.
- Commonly used by all ages, because of the safe temperature measurement location.
Disadvantages of taking an axillary temperature:
- Usually, the armpit temperature measuring 37.5 degrees Celsius or more is considered a fever.
- The temperature measurement time is quite long (mercury thermometer is about 4-5 minutes , electronic thermometer is about 2-3 minutes ) so it makes children feel uncomfortable, fussy.
- It is necessary to follow the correct sequence to obtain accurate measurement results.
- Using a mercury thermometer can be difficult to read, as the lines are often fuzzy and small.
2 Take baby's temperature by mouth
Taking the temperature in the mouth also helps you determine what the child's temperature is now? You can use a mercury thermometer or an electronic thermometer to take the measurement by following these steps:
- Use a mercury thermometer: Hold and shake the thermometer so that the mercury column drops below the 35 degrees Celsius mark. Place the tip of the thermometer under the child's tongue and ask the child to hold it with his lips. Make sure the lips are kept tightly around the thermometer, about 3 minutes to take out and read the results.
- Using an electronic thermometer: Turn on the device and place the tip of the thermometer under the child's tongue. Ask the child to close his or her lips around the thermometer, wait for the "beep, beep" sound, and then take out the results to read.
Advantages of oral temperature measurement:
- Bring high accuracy, less affected by other factors in the measurement process.
- The cost of buying a thermometer is cheap.
- Usually a temperature of 38 degrees or higher is identified as a child with a fever.
Disadvantages of oral temperature measurement:
- Difficult to do with young children, because it is dangerous if the child does not know how to hold the thermometer.
3 Measure the child's temperature at the anus
To conduct a baby's temperature measurement rectally, or rectally, you can use an electronic or mercury thermometer.
- Use a mercury thermometer: Swipe the thermometer to move the mercury column below the 35 degree Celsius mark. Place the child on his or her back, and then gently insert the tip of the thermometer into the anus until the silver tip is not visible. another thermometer (the silver tip is about 0.6 to 1.3 cm ). Hold for about 2-3 minutes and then take out and read the results.
- Using an electronic thermometer: Turn on the device and proceed with the same steps as using a mercury thermometer. However, after hearing the "beep, beep" sound, you take out the thermometer to read the result.
Advantages of rectal temperature measurement:
- It can be done by all ages, including babies.
- High accuracy, less interference.
- Usually, measuring the rectal temperature of 38 degrees Celsius or more is to determine that the child has a fever.
- The cost of buying a thermometer is cheap.
Disadvantages of taking an rectal temperature:
- Make the child feel uncomfortable.
- Care should be taken, because improper temperature application will easily injure the anus.
- Results take a little longer.
- Feeling a bit unhygienic.
4 Measure the child's temperature at the ear
The method of measuring temperature in the ear is also very popular, but you need to use an infrared electronic thermometer instead of the two common thermometers like mercury and conventional electronic.
First, you need to put the child in an upright sitting position. When inserting the tip of the thermometer into the ear, pull the earlobe out a little and then press the button of the meter. Hold for about 2-3 seconds and then take out and read the results.
Advantages of measuring temperature in the ear:
- Fast measurement time, little effect on children.
- High precision, safe.
- An ear temperature of 38 degrees Celsius or higher means the child has a fever.
Disadvantages of ear temperature measurement:
- The cost of buying a thermometer is quite high but has good durability.
5 Take baby's temperature on forehead
The forehead temperature measurement is also very popular, but the results are very quick and accurate. You need to use an infrared forehead thermometer with the following measurement method:
- Place the transducer about 1-3cm away from the center of the baby's forehead, then press the button, then apply it to the baby's forehead. Results will be available in about 1-3 seconds .
Advantages of forehead temperature measurement:
- Fast measurement time, easy to perform, does not affect children.
- High safety, can be measured while the baby is sleeping.
- A forehead temperature of 37.5°C or higher means the child has a fever.
- The device will have a high fever warning for parents.
Cons of forehead temperature measurement:
- The cost of buying a thermometer is high.
With the above information, Dien May XANH hopes it will be useful for you to know about 5 ways to use thermometers to safely and accurately measure body temperature for children.