Saving electricity both helps prevent global warming and saves your family money. Any electrical appliance will help you save electricity and money if you know how. Changing your daily routine or using an appliance with an energy label will help you reduce your electricity consumption. Continue reading Quantrimang's article below to know more ways!
- Replace old electrical equipment with one with energy-saving technology
- Turn off and unplug when not in use
- Limit device use/Reduce dependence on devices
- How to use air conditioners, water heaters, and heaters to save electricity
- Insulate the house in the summer, keep it warm in the winter
- Use solar panels, solar energy if possible
1. Replace old electrical equipment with equipment with energy-saving technology
Replacing regular incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) or LED bulbs is an effective way to save electricity. Incandescent bulbs release 98% of their electricity consumption through heat, while CFL and LED bulbs are energy efficient and have a much longer lifespan.
A CFL bulb consumes only about a quarter of the electricity that an incandescent bulb does when used for the same amount of time. However, CFLs contain mercury, so you need to be careful when using them and handle them properly when they are damaged. On the other hand, LED bulbs are more expensive than CFLs, but they last longer and contain no mercury.
When purchasing energy-efficient appliances, you should check that the appliance has an energy label. This is to ensure that devices consume less power during use and when in standby than other devices. Energy savings vary depending on the specific device.
For example, a washing machine with an energy label will use 25% and 4% less water and electricity, respectively, than a conventional washing machine. Refrigerators with energy labels consume 9% less electricity than refrigerators without labels. Air conditioners with energy labels consume 8% less electricity than air conditioners without labels.
Besides, there are many indicators on the energy label, but you only need to pay attention to the number of stars and the energy efficiency listed on the label. There are a total of 5 ratings from 1 to 5 stars corresponding to 5 power saving levels. The more stars the product has, the more power consumption will be saved. However, if two products have the same 5-star rating, you should consider adding an energy efficiency index (EER). Electrical equipment that is more energy efficient will be able to save more electricity.
When buying a television, most people are interested in the specifications and convenience it offers. Although, most TVs these days are energy efficient, regardless of the size, its power consumption should be considered. With display and light technology that provides higher picture contrast, LED TVs use less power than Plasmas TVs.
In addition, you can refer to the new technologies of each device to save electricity:
- Refrigerator, air conditioner: Inverter
- Refrigerator: Inverter
- Washing machine: Inverter, Digital Inverter
- Dryer: Inverter
- Heater: Relay temperature sensor, automatically disconnects when the temperature is high
- TV: LED
- Hot and cold water tank: Half Mode feature (Ariston), 3cm thick Polyurethane insulation layer helps the boiled water to stay hot longer (Ferroli)…
2. Turn off and unplug when not in use
Do not forget about devices such as phone chargers and hair dryers that still consume electricity even at a very small level, but these are all devices that are used daily and often, so it will "accumulate into greatness". Therefore, you should turn them off and unplug them when not in use, helping to reduce your electricity bill for the whole month significantly.
Since then, devices with larger power consumption such as water heaters and air conditioners have to turn off when not in use. With this method, you will save energy effectively.
3. Limit the use of devices / Reduce dependence on devices
Taking advantage of sunlight whenever possible instead of using light bulbs, can significantly reduce the amount of electricity you use during the day. To take advantage of natural light, you should use light colored curtains, light can still pass through and still ensure a certain privacy.
Besides, some things can be done without necessarily using electrical devices such as:
- Hang clothes and shoes outside to dry instead of using a dryer
- Wash clothes according to the washing capacity of the machine
- Wash dishes by hand
- Open the window to catch the wind instead of using the air conditioner
4. How to use air conditioners, water heaters, and heaters to save electricity
For air conditioners, water heaters, heaters – the most energy-consuming appliances in the house – all have their own ways to save electricity. In general, when buying these 3 devices, the party needs to pay attention to 2 factors: usage demand and consumption capacity.
In addition, you need:
- Adjust the temperature of the devices reasonably and in accordance with the needs of use
- Set timer mode
- Turn off the device when no one is at home
- How to save electricity on water heaters in winter?
- Don't worry about "evaporating your pocket" when using the air conditioner to release the gas
- How to use oil heater without consuming electricity?
- How to turn on the hot mode on the air conditioner to heat properly, efficiently and save electricity
5. Insulate the house in summer, keep warm in winter
Temperature plays an important role in reducing electricity bills through retaining heat in the winter and insulating during the summer. Attic, walls, floors, basements and bedrooms are the 5 main areas where you should consider using insulation.
You can refer to " Insulate the house in summer, keep warm in winter ".
6. Use solar panels, solar energy if possible
You can consider using energy from sunlight and wind for your home to save electricity. Today there are many companies that offer this service on a small scale. Although this can be expensive at first, but with long-term use, in the end, it will still save a lot of money on monthly electricity bills for your family.
Here are the 6 easiest ways you can help reduce your electricity bill each month. Good luck!