1 Cracked chicken neck, cracked nipple is what disease?
Cracked chicken neck is a phenomenon where the nipples are cracked, red, even bleeding, causing pain and discomfort for the mother every time the baby suckles, not to mention causing unsanitary cause each time the mother's milk is bleeding.
Cracked nipples usually appear three to seven days after birth. Cracked nipples are often associated with breastfeeding. And at first it's just small cracks or tears in the skin of the nipple. The fissure may appear as a cut on the tip of the nipple and may extend to the base of the nipple.
Cracked nipples can lead to soreness, dryness, or bleeding sores on one or both nipples. When sores form, it can be quite painful or intense. Bacteria can enter the breast through a cracked nipple, causing an infection and swelling of the mammary gland. Cracked chicken neck can increase the risk of mastitis, pus-filled chicken neck crack, Candida fungus disease, … leading to dark pink, cracked and painful nipples.
2 Reasons why the mother is prone to cracking chicken neck
The first cause of "chicken neck" is mainly due to improper breastfeeding. When the baby does not fully suck the areola, but only superficially attaches to the nipple, each time the baby sucks, the nipple is pulled, tugged, causing cracks in the nipple for a long time.
At first, it is just a small crack, if the mother does not properly clean and treat it in time, the crack will spread around the base of the nipple, causing pain for the mother and unhygienic for the baby, even the crack can be may become infected and fester.
Another cause is that babies use their tongues to regulate milk flow. When the baby is used to bottle feeding, switching to breast feeding, this will create friction on the nipple, causing cracks on the nipple on the nipple. At that time, this changes the shape of the breast and is also the cause of cracked nipples. Dry cracked nipples can also be caused by Candida from the baby's mouth or from the mother.
However, there are also other causes such as breastfeeding position, breast tenderness, lack of breastfeeding experience. Using poor quality fakes is also an important cause of chicken neck cracks.
For first-time moms, nipples may be sore for the first few days. But if nipples are cracked or bleeding, prompt treatment is required.
3 Ways to handle the condition that the mother has a cracked chicken neck while breastfeeding
You can mix diluted salt water, 1/2 teaspoon of salt water with 1 cup of warm water, let it cool and put it in a spray bottle. You can spray it directly on the wound.
After soaking or spraying with salt water for about 5 to 10 minutes, mom used a soft paper to absorb it. You can dip your nipples in clean filtered water to get rid of the salt water taste. I also use blotting paper each time the nipple comes into contact with liquid solution.
After cleaning with salt water, the mother can squeeze out some milk to apply to the nipple. This helps to make the wound heal faster. Breast milk contains vitamin E and antibodies that protect the skin and help wounds heal. Continuously doing this for a few days will bring noticeable results.
Besides, mothers can also use extra nipples to reduce pain and stress when breastfeeding. This is a temporary solution in this case so that the baby can breastfeed while the mother can still experience less pain while the nipple heals.
4 Tips to effectively treat cracked chicken neck
Use breast milk
This is one of the therapies that is easy to apply, safe and cheap, and has been passed on by mothers with surprising results.
After cleaning the breasts with salt water and a clean towel, apply a few drops of milk on them. Continuously doing this for a few days will bring noticeable results.
Use physiological saline
Mom mixed half a teaspoon of salt with a bowl of water, then applied the saline solution to the nipple, leaving it for about 10 minutes. When preparing to breastfeed, remember to wipe your nipples with a clean cloth.
Use coconut oil, grapefruit oil or olive oil
Coconut oil, grapefruit oil or olive oil can heal wounds thanks to its superior moisturizing ability. If you are afraid of an allergic reaction, test it on the skin of your hand before using it.
Honey is considered a natural antibiotic when it comes to quick wound healing. You just need to apply a layer of pure honey on the painful area to help soften and heal the wound.
Use the leaves
Mint leaves are one of the folk remedies to help heal cracked chicken neck effectively. To do this, you crush the coriander leaves and a little salt, apply to the wound 3 times a day, the wound will heal quickly.
Use specialized medicine
Besides the above measures, mothers can also use specialized drugs to treat chicken neck cracks, usually in the form of creams to support the treatment and help the cracks heal.
Some reputable brands that you can choose to buy:
Lansinoh Cream : Extracted from 100% natural ingredients and HPA Lanolin (sheep fat) has the effect of supporting the treatment of cracked nipples, soothing, healing and reducing pain caused by cracked nipples. This is a safe and effective product to support the treatment of nipple cracks in the US.
- Sanosan nipple cracking cream : Extracted from natural sheep fat, safe and benign ingredients, is an effective solution in supporting the treatment of dry, cracked nipples, reducing pain and burning sensation in the nipples. and after breastfeeding.
- Medela Purelan Cream : Made from natural ingredients, without preservatives, is an effective treatment solution for dry, cracked, bleeding nipples during pregnancy and lactation. The baby can suckle directly after the mother applies the cream without affecting health.
- Nursing Butter Palmer's Cream : Extracted from natural ingredients, nourishes and increases the elasticity of the nipples, effectively providing moisture, against the feeling of chapped and painful nipples when breastfeeding.
- Kaneson nipple massage oil: Extracted from high purity, low temperature horse fat, including the alpha linolenic acid , a natural and nutrient rich oil. The best feature of horse oil is its ability to penetrate deep into the skin to help nourish the skin, help maintain and increase moisture, massage the skin and treat nipple cracks effectively, bringing comfort. , comfortable during pregnancy and lactation.
5 ways to prevent chicken neck cracking
Teach your baby the right way to breastfeed
First, the mother needs to adjust the way she holds her baby when feeding so that it is in the correct position, preferably leaning against the bed or a comfortable chair. Then, help your baby latch on by following these steps:
- Feed your baby on any breast, use the hand on the same side of that breast to support the baby.
- Ensure 3 points: The baby's head – back – bottom is in a straight line and the baby lies on his side facing the mother's chest so that the baby's belly touches the mother's belly, the baby's face touches the mother's chest.
- Bring the tip of your nipple to your baby's upper lip, if he's ready to suckle, he'll open his mouth wide (tongue protrudes forward).
- A mother's hand supports the baby's neck, so that the baby's head is comfortably tilted, the baby's chin is resting on the mother's breast (lower part).
- With the other hand, form the letter C, the thumb gently presses up to guide the nipple towards the baby's upper lip.
- Place your baby's bottom lip on the bottom edge of the areola (about 1.5cm from the nipple) to start sucking from the bottom lip.
- The tip of the nipple passes through the upper lip into the baby's mouth, the baby will automatically latch on deeply and firmly.
Clean mother's nipples very clean
With a cleft palate, the mother's nipples can bleed, become infected, or even ooze pus. If you continue to breastfeed with such a nipple, it will not only affect the mother's health but also cause unhygienic for the baby.
Therefore, the most important thing is that mothers always take proper care of their nipples according to the guidance of pediatric experts by:
- Each time the baby finishes feeding, the mother squeezes a little milk onto the nipple and the areola is available around the nipple to protect the skin. Wait for the nipples to dry before putting the bra back on.
- Clean the breasts with clean water, avoid applying soap and shower gel directly on the nipples. Physiological saline can be used to wipe the breasts and nipples with makeup remover cotton or a clean bucket.
- If the neck cracks are too much and too painful, the mother should stop breastfeeding. Instead, the mother can squeeze out the bottle to feed the baby.
Using the assist knob
is a device that helps babies to suckle with a thin silicone pad placed on the mother's nipple. Breastfeeding pacifiers are a temporary solution in this case so that the baby can breastfeed while the mother can still experience less pain while the nipple heals.
Above is an article on how to prevent and treat chicken neck cracks quickly and safely. Hopefully with the above information, mothers will breastfeed safely and properly!