1 What is air humidity? Why does the air have moisture?
What is air humidity?
Air humidity, also known as humidity or air humidity, is water vapor in the form of a gas that exists in space , invisible to the naked eye. In order for the air to maintain equilibrium, the atmosphere must contain up to 80% water vapor .
High or low humidity depends on the amount of rain or fog in each place. The unit used to measure air humidity is grams per cubic meter (g/m³), the measuring instrument is .
Why does the air have moisture?
Because air contains up to 78% Nitrogen , 21% Oxygen and 1% water vapor – a certain amount of water vapor makes the air moist. When the air is saturated, water vapor evaporates, cools and condenses to form dew, clouds, and rain.
Temperature affects the amount of water vapor in the air. The higher the temperature of the air, the higher the humidity of the air and vice versa.
2 Classification of air humidity
Air humidity is classified into three different categories. In each category, there will be a different ratio, representing another in-depth concept related to air humidity.
- Relative humidity: Show ratio of current steam pressure to saturated steam pressure (in other words, the amount of water vapor present in a unit volume of air). The unit is %.
- Absolute humidity : The percentage of water vapor in the air, calculated as the ratio of the mass of water vapor to the volume of the air mixture. Calculated in units of g/m³ and not related to the volatility of the air.
- 100% Humidity : Is the air that reaches a state of saturation in terms of water vapor content (water vapor in the air reaches the maximum possible level). 100% humidity isn't completely 100% water vapor, but the amount of water that can be in the atmosphere changes the temperature and many other things present in the atmosphere.
3 How much air humidity is good? The impact of humidity on human life
How much humidity is good?
Air humidity should be within 40 – 70% in the human habitat. If in infants, it should be at 40-60% to ensure safety for the baby.
The environment with humidity in the range of 40 – 70% is suitable for health, preventing bacteria and mold growth. In most large foreign hospitals, the humidity of the air will be maintained at 55%.
You should not let the humidity of the air rise too high above 70%, because it will create favorable conditions for pathogenic bacteria, especially respiratory diseases such as dry cough, bronchitis, flu. ,…
The impact of humidity on human life
Air humidity has a strong impact on human health. Therefore, you should not let the indoor air have too low or too high humidity. In the cold winter, the humidity is quite high, it is easy to cause respiratory diseases, and in the summer, the low humidity makes the skin dry and uncomfortable.
In addition, inappropriate humidity causes many negative impacts on human life as follows:
- Wet weather, making clothes take a long time to dry, causing unpleasant odors and the appearance of mold.
- The floor is exposed to water, inconvenient to move, especially the house with elderly people and children.
- Creating favorable conditions for harmful bacteria to thrive such as viruses, molds, dust bugs, … are harmful to human health. Affects the respiratory tract, gastrointestinal disease or skin disease.
- High humidity makes it difficult for the skin to breathe, while low humidity makes it difficult to sweat quickly.
4 ways to reduce humidity in the room
Reduce the humidity in the room with simple tips and ingredients
The higher the humidity in the room, the adverse effects on the health of the members of the house such as feeling suffocated, having difficulty breathing. Steam also causes black and gray mold to appear on walls and floors, causing unsightly.
At the same time, prolonged mold creates the right conditions for bacteria to multiply and grow. Over time, it also causes an extremely unpleasant smell in your house. Therefore, you need to reduce the humidity in the room with these simple tips and ingredients:
- Using charcoal : After the firewood has been burned in the furnace with a temperature of about 900 – 1000 degrees Celsius, it will form charcoal with hollow capillary systems to help absorb moisture effectively. Put some charcoal in a clean pot or basket to place in humid places such as bathrooms, kitchens, …
- Use quicklime : If the weather is wet for a long time, put the quicklime bucket in a moldy place and close the door tightly to let the lime work. Quicklime works quickly and saves costs.
- Use desiccant : You can use activated carbon, baking soda, … then put it in a cloth bag hanging in the corner of the room to make a desiccant. At the same time, those substances can also eliminate odors very effectively.
- Use rock salt : Rock salt helps to retain moisture in the air, making the air more dry and fresh. Stone works similar to , completely safe for users and has a very low cost.
- Drying clothes outdoors instead of indoors : You should not dry clothes indoors because it is easy to increase humidity as well as make clothes take a long time to dry and have an unpleasant odor. You should dry your clothes in direct sunlight. On a wet day or your space is too small to dry on the balcony, use it to help limit the high humidity in the house.
- Open the room door to help air circulation : Open the room door on sunny days to let the wind take the steam out. If it is humid outside, you should close the door of the room because the humid air will cause the indoor air humidity to increase.
- Cleaning the carpet : You need to regularly clean the carpet, especially on a rainy, wet day. Always keep the carpet clean and dry to prevent mold from forming. You can use baking soda for cleaning, both effective and cost-effective.
- Repairing walls : When you see cracks in the walls of your home, repair them quickly, because moisture will carry these cracks into the house. Moisture causes serious damage to furniture, especially wooden furniture.
Reduce humidity by using assistive devices
- Turn on the air conditioner in dry mode : In the wet and rainy season, leave it in dry mode to help disinfect and dehumidify the room better. At the same time, the device will help balance the humidity and protect the health of your family members.
- Use a fan : The air humidity in the room increases, turn it on to increase the amount of air and reduce excess humidity in the room. The fan also helps to keep the room cool, dry and more comfortable.
- Using a dehumidifier : This is an ideal choice for you, not only to help you dehumidify effectively but also to provide clean, fresh air that is safe for the health of family members. On the market today, there are many types of dehumidifiers, you can freely choose to suit your needs.
Hopefully the above article will help you understand more about what air humidity is and how to effectively reduce humidity in the room. Any questions please leave a comment below!