1. What is a hair mask?
A hair mask is a specialized hair care product that contains beneficial nutrients for different hair types and has various hair care effects. It can be made from either chemical or natural ingredients.
Hair masks have different functions, such as repairing damage to dyed, sun-damaged, straightened, or permed hair, and restoring split ends, weak, and prone to breakage hair. For optimum results, it is recommended to leave the hair mask on for 15-30 minutes and use it 2-3 times a week.
2. What is conditioner?
Conditioner is a hair care product that is not specialized and is usually used after shampooing to provide additional nutrients, strengthen and nourish the hair. Using conditioner will result in softer and smoother hair.
Conditioners come in different types, such as hair repair conditioners, sun protection conditioners, and anti-tangle conditioners, suitable for various hair types. Conditioners can be used daily without causing hair damage, but it should be left on for about 2-3 minutes and then rinsed.
3. Differences between hair mask and conditioner
Hair masks have a thick white or pale yellow color with a dense cream texture, while conditioners usually have a milky white color with a slimy liquid form.
About usage time
Hair masks usually require a usage time of 15-30 minutes and should be used 2-3 times a week. Conditioners, on the other hand, have a shorter usage time of about 2-3 minutes and can be used every day to achieve smoother hair.
Using conditioner immediately results in smoother and more manageable hair, but the effect only lasts for 1-2 days.
Hair masks take more time to show significant changes in the hair, such as eliminating split ends, dryness, or frizziness. They also help maintain smooth, healthy, and shiny hair for a longer period.
4. Should you use a hair mask instead of conditioner?
Hair masks and conditioners are two hair care products with different advantages and disadvantages. When choosing which product to use, you should consider your specific needs, hair condition, and scalp health.
You should choose a hair mask when:
- You want soft, smooth, and healthy hair that lasts for a long time.
- You want specialized hair care tailored to your specific hair needs.
- Your hair is dry, brittle, has split ends, lacks moisture, and has undergone damage from hair dyeing, straightening, or perming with chemical products.
You should choose a conditioner when:
- You want immediate smooth hair.
- You prefer a simple, quick, and time-saving hair care routine.
- You want to support the normal development of your hair.
- You don’t want to invest too much in hair care but still want smooth hair.
- Your hair is healthy and not prone to damage.