If you often work with multiple applications at the same time, switching between windows can be confusing, time-consuming, and even frustrating. However, in reality, there are many solutions to improve your multitasking experience if you know these ways to split your computer screen.
Benefits of Splitting Your Computer Screen
While working, you will surely need to work on multiple platforms, open multiple windows simultaneously. In cases where the content of the windows is related to each other and you need to compare and cross-reference, splitting your computer screen will help you open two windows side by side to facilitate easier observation instead of switching back and forth.
The benefits of this computer screen splitting trick can be mentioned as:
- Time-saving: Obviously, hiding and reopening windows will take more time than when both windows are open in parallel with each other.
- Easily and accurately compare information in 2 windows: Switching between 2 windows sometimes also makes you look at the wrong information, leading to incorrect lookup, observation, affecting work, especially for spreadsheets with many rows and columns.
- Multi-tasking: When splitting your computer screen, you can work and message to exchange work with colleagues, partners at the same time.
How to Split Your Computer Screen in Windows 10
For those using a laptop, Windows 10, you can refer to some ways to split your computer screen below:
Multitasking is a word in English meaning multitasking, doing multiple tasks at the same time. Multitasking mode allows you to divide your computer into multiple parts, and it is available on Windows 10, just activate it and you can use it. The steps are as follows:
Step 1: Use the Windows + I keyboard combination to access the Settings section, then choose System.
Step 2: Click on the Multitasking section. Next, in the Work with multiple window item, you slide the slider at Snap windows to the right to enable it.
That’s it, with just 2 simple steps, you can enable the split screen feature.
Split Your Computer Screen Using Your Mouse
The second way to split your computer screen is to perform the operation through the mouse.
Step 1: Open the first window and click on the minimize icon, then adjust the size and drag it to the left or right half of the screen until you see the half screen frame, then release the mouse.
Step 2: Do the same with the second window. If window 1 is placed on the left, then window 2 will be dragged to the right. So each window will be on one side and not be obscured, appearing side by side on the screen.
Split Your Computer Screen Using the Taskbar
Step 1: With this method, right-click on the taskbar and select Show windows side by side. Your computer will automatically split the screen depending on the number of windows you have opened.
Step 2: If you want to return the screen to its original state, right-click on the taskbar and select Undo Show windows side by side.
Split Your Computer Screen Using Windows Shortcut Keys
The next way to split your computer screen is to use the Windows shortcut keys according to the following steps:
Step 1: First, click on the window you want to split the screen.
Step 2: Next, press the keyboard shortcut:
- Windows + left/right arrow: To split the computer screen into 2 parts vertically.
- Windows + up/down arrow: To split the computer screen into 2 parts horizontally.
Step 3: When you move the window, release the Windows key and the screen will display the remaining windows.
Next, just select the second window and do the same for the other half, and you are done.
Splitting the Screen into Multiple Parts
In addition to splitting the screen into 2 halves as instructed above, you can also split it into 4 parts to display multiple windows at the same time using Corner Snap. To do this, all you need to do is drag each window to each corner of the screen, and the computer will automatically adjust the size and split it into 4 equal windows.
How to Split Your Computer Screen in Windows 11
For those using Windows 11, there are also many ways to split your computer screen, below is a specific guide.
Enable Multitasking Split Screen in Windows 11
The Snap feature is turned on by default in Windows 11, but you should still check this to ensure that there are no problems when splitting your screen on your computer.
To check if the Snap feature is turned on or not, press the Windows + I keyboard combination to open Settings on Windows 11. This application will open with the default view of System (system settings). In the system settings page, search for and click on the Multitasking option located on the right side.
Then, check the status of the On/Off switch.
Split Your Screen in Windows 11 with Snap Layouts Button
What is Snap Layouts?
Windows 11 will make splitting the screen much easier and faster with the Snap Layouts button integrated right into the maximize button on each application window. Now you no longer have to hold and drag the window to one side or use shortcuts to activate the Snap feature anymore.
To use the Snap Layouts button in Windows 11, move the mouse cursor over the maximize button at the top right corner of the application window. There will be four or six different options to split the screen.
- The first option will split the screen into two equal parts. At this time, both application windows will occupy the same space on the screen.
- The second option also splits the screen, but there is an uneven distribution of space used by the windows. In this case, the window on the left will occupy more space than the window on the right.
- The third option splits the screen into three parts, where the left half of the screen has one window and the right half of the screen is divided into two to contain two other windows.
- The fourth option splits the screen into four equal parts for four applications to be displayed simultaneously.
How to Split Your Screen Using the Snap Layouts Button
After you understand how to use the Snap Layouts button on the application window of Windows 11, you can split your screen following the steps below:
Step 1: Open the application windows you want to split, move the mouse cursor over the maximize button and choose one of the two Windows 11 split options.
Step 2: Then, the current application window will be displayed in half of the screen, and you will see other open applications as thumbnails in the remaining half of the screen.
Step 3: The next thing you need to do is select the second application window that you want to display in the remaining half of the screen.
Now, you have two application windows on the screen. You can access and work on them simultaneously. You can also resize the windows by moving the mouse cursor to the divider between the windows, and a bold line will appear. Just hold and drag the line horizontally to resize any window.
How to Split Your MacBook Screen
In case you use a MacBook, you can also split your screen following the instructions below:
Step 1: Press and hold the Full Screenbutton in the upper-left corner of the window. Then, drag it to the left or right side of the screen.
Step 2: Select another window for the remaining half of the screen to use simultaneously.
So, the article has guided you on how to split your screen on Windows 10, Windows 11, and macOS. Hopefully, this sharing will help you successfully implement it.
- Total 8 ways to adjust the brightness of your computer screen quickly applicable to all computer models
- Setting up a new computer, things to do right away to personalize it the way you want