Black honey, also known as sam flower honey, is a rare and highly valuable type of honey due to its black color, slight bitterness, and limited availability. In this article, we will explore the characteristics and benefits of black honey.
What is black honey?
Black honey is a unique variant of honey that boasts a dark hue and a mildly bitter taste. It can only be found in the high mountain areas, particularly on the summit of Ngoc Linh mountain, making it extremely challenging to harvest. Additionally, black honey hives are typically small and produce minimal amounts of honey, further contributing to its rarity and high value.
The distinctive black color and slight bitterness of black honey can be attributed to forest bees extracting nectar from Ngoc Linh ginseng and other rare medicinal plants in the Ngoc Linh mountain region. Consequently, during years with ample sunlight, Ngoc Linh ginseng produces fewer flowers, resulting in a scarcity of black honey.
Black honey can be harvested from March to June, coinciding with the blooming season of Ngoc Linh ginseng. However, once the rainy season commences by the end of June, the black honey season comes to an end.
The benefits of black honey
According to hellobacsi, a reputable medical website, Dr. Nguyen Thuong Hanh from the Bac Ninh Provincial General Hospital confirms that black honey, like regular honey, is a nutrient-rich food with numerous health benefits. The following are 11 benefits of black honey:
- Moisturizes and cares for smooth skin: The antioxidants in black honey aid in rejuvenating the skin and shielding it from the harmful effects of sunlight.
- Assists in acne treatment: Black honey consists of gluconic acid and hydrogen peroxide, which inhibit the formation and proliferation of acne-causing bacteria.
- Heals wounds and fades scars: The antibacterial properties of black honey are highly effective in wound healing and minimizing the appearance of slight scars.
- Strengthens the immune system: Black honey contains a plethora of antioxidants and flavonoids that combat harmful bacteria, enhance resistance, and improve overall health.
- Restores health: With ample vitamins, minerals, and natural sugars, black honey is highly efficacious in aiding patients’ recovery.
- Good for the elderly: Black honey, abundant in sugar and minerals, aids in preventing hypertension, supports digestion, and safeguards the cardiovascular system in elderly individuals.
- Reduces muscle fatigue: Black honey enhances performance and endurance during physical exercise, replenishing and sustaining energy levels in the body.
- Treats insomnia: The fat content in black honey promotes the release of endorphins, facilitating sleep and effectively treating insomnia.
- Effective hair care and moisturizing: Thanks to its antioxidants and nutrients, black honey stimulates hair growth, moisturizes the scalp, and promotes robust and healthy hair.
- Supports the treatment of diseases: The vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants present in black honey aid in treating and preventing various diseases, including heart disease and diabetes.
- Aids in weight loss: Black honey stimulates metabolism, hinders excess fat accumulation, and supports effective weight loss.
The price of black honey
In the market, the price of black honey, or sam flower honey, ranges from 1 to 1.6 million VND per liter. However, due to its scarcity and high value, there are many counterfeit products in circulation.
To ensure the authenticity and quality of black honey, it is advisable to purchase from reputable stores specializing in forest honey. These stores should have established brands, proper guarantees, and transparent information, thus ensuring the authenticity of their products and preventing the purchase of counterfeits.
In conclusion, this article has provided insights into the rare black honey found in the Central Highlands. We appreciate your attention and look forward to sharing more engaging articles in the future!