A microwave oven is a very popular kitchen appliance in households today. However, not everyone knows how to use a microwave oven safely and efficiently. Many people are still uncertain about whether or not to leave the microwave plugged in continuously. Today, let’s find out about this issue through the following article!
1Should you leave the microwave plugged in continuously?
No, you should not leave the microwave plugged in continuously. The microwave has a standby mode, so even if it is not in use, it still consumes electricity when plugged in. It is estimated that a microwave in standby mode consumes about 50 – 100W of electricity. If left plugged in continuously, the microwave will consume a significant amount of electricity, contributing to increased electricity bills.
In addition, leaving the microwave plugged in continuously can also cause some other issues, such as:
- Reduced lifespan of the microwave: Continuous operation of the microwave can cause faster wear and tear of its components, reducing its lifespan.
- Child safety hazards: Young children may accidentally open the microwave door or press the control buttons, causing the microwave to operate. This can lead to microwave explosions or burns.
2Things to avoid when using a microwave
A microwave oven is a convenient household appliance that helps us cook quickly and easily. However, if not used properly, a microwave can be dangerous. Here are things to keep in mind when using a microwave:
Do not tightly cover the food when heating it in the microwave
When a microwave heats food, the water molecules inside the food move faster, creating heat. This increases the pressure inside the food container. If the container is tightly covered, the pressure cannot escape and may cause an explosion.
Do not heat food while still in its packaging
Heating food while it is still in its packaging can cause the packaging material to melt and release harmful chemicals such as , ,… These substances can cause health issues such as endocrine disruption, infertility, ,…
To ensure safety when reheating food in the microwave, you should remove all packaging before putting it in the microwave. You can also use microwave-safe food containers.
Do not overload the microwave with too much food
The turntable of the microwave can only hold a certain amount of food. Overloading the microwave with too much food can cause several issues, such as:
- The microwave not functioning properly.
- The food not being heated evenly.
- Partial burning or uneven cooking of the food.
- The microwave being damaged.
To ensure safety and efficiency when using the microwave, you should put an appropriate amount of food in the microwave. You should refer to the microwave’s user manual to know the maximum amount of food it can hold.
In addition, you should also pay attention to the following issues after putting food in the microwave:
- Do not place the food too close to the sides of the microwave.
- Do not stack the food too thickly.
- Do not put too much food in the same container.
- Do not overload the microwave with too much food.
Do not stand too close to the microwave when it is operating
During operation, the microwave emits high-frequency electromagnetic radiation, which can be harmful to health.
The electromagnetic radiation from the microwave can heat the tissues in the body, similar to how the microwave heats food. The human body is made up of over 70% water, and water is a good conductor of electricity. When exposed to electromagnetic radiation, the water molecules in the body will move quickly and strongly, generating heat and warming the body.
If you stand too close to the microwave when it is operating, you may be exposed to a large amount of electromagnetic radiation, leading to health issues such as headaches, dizziness, nausea,… and even cancer.
Above are our sharing about the issue “Should you leave the microwave plugged in continuously?” and the precautions when using a microwave. We hope that with this article, you will gain useful information. Thank you for following!