Methods to Resolve Electrical Contamination Issues in a Microwave Oven

Do you know what may cause a microwave to become electrically contaminated? Are you wondering how to fix this condition? This article provides detailed insight into the issue, so read on to learn more!

0
279

Causes of Electrical Contamination in Microwaves and Ways to Fix Them

The microwave has become an essential appliance in most kitchens, providing fast and convenient cooking. However, there are common issues that can occur, such as electrical contamination, which can pose difficulties and safety hazards during use. Let’s explore the causes of this condition and effective solutions to resolve it.

1. Using the Microwave with Wet Hands or Barefoot

When using the microwave with wet hands or while barefoot, you may experience a tingling sensation. Although this is a normal physical phenomenon, it can still startle you and cause accidents.

The reason behind this phenomenon is that microwaves often have a shell made of steel or stainless steel. During operation, the microwave can generate a small amount of electrical contamination outside its shell.

Solution: To ensure safety during use, always make sure your hands are dry and wear shoes made of plastic or rubber. Additionally, avoid touching the surface of the microwave shell when it is operating or plugged in, especially avoiding contact with the screws connecting the shell.

Using the microwave with wet hands or barefoot
Using the microwave with wet hands or barefoot

2. Microwave Shell Becomes Bent, Warped, or Open

After prolonged use, you may notice that the microwave shell becomes bent, warped, or even opens up. If you feel a tingling sensation when touching the microwave, it indicates that electrical contamination has occurred.

The cause of this situation is usually due to users opening the microwave shell, removing the insulation layer that blocks microwave radiation during cleaning or repair without proper experience. This action inadvertently creates conditions for electrical energy to transmit outside, resulting in electrical contamination in the microwave.

Solution: If the microwave has been used for an extended period and only the shell is damaged while the internal components are still functioning properly, you can have the product repaired at a professional shop by replacing the microwave shell. However, if both the internal and external parts of the microwave are damaged, it is recommended to replace it with a new one for better performance.

Microwave shell becomes bent, warped, or open
Microwave shell becomes bent, warped, or open

3. Lack of Ground Wire

The absence of a ground wire in the microwave can lead to electrical leakage and increase the risk of electric shock. However, most imported or portable microwaves are often purchased and used without connecting the ground wire.

The reason for this situation is the lack of a ground wire, which increases the possibility of electric leakage and electrical contamination in the microwave.

Solution: To prevent this situation, it is essential to equip the microwave with a ground wire immediately upon purchasing the product. You can either create a ground wire at home or seek professional technical assistance for a safe and proper installation.

Lack of ground wire
Lack of ground wire

4. Placing the Microwave in High Humidity Areas

When installing the microwave in high humidity areas, such as near the sink or in the bathroom, there is a high risk of electrical contamination and potential explosions, posing a threat to your safety and your family’s safety.

The main reason is that moisture in the air can damage the internal components of the microwave and cause electrical leakage, circuit failure, or even fire or explosion in severe cases.

Solution: It is advisable to place the microwave at a higher position, such as mounting it on the wall, to enhance safety. Ensure that the microwave is placed in a cool and dry environment.

Placing the microwave in high humidity areas
Placing the microwave in high humidity areas

5. Wet Microwave Circuit and Reduced Insulation Layer Effectiveness

The microwave’s metal shell easily becomes contaminated with electricity when there is a problem with the circuit or the insulation layer, such as water sticking or circuit damage.

The reason behind this phenomenon is that when the microwave circuit is wet or the insulation layer is no longer effective, it can lead to electrical leakage. As a result, the microwave’s shell inadvertently comes into contact with electricity and becomes contaminated.

Solution: In this case, it is recommended to contact a repair store and have professional technicians handle the issue. It is not advisable to open the microwave shell and attempt repairs by yourself, as that can lead to unintended consequences.

Wet microwave circuit and reduced insulation layer effectiveness
Wet microwave circuit and reduced insulation layer effectiveness

6. Putting Metallic Objects in the Microwave

Many people unintentionally put unsafe objects, especially metallic ones, in the microwave for heating during use.

The reason for this issue is that placing food containers made of metal in the microwave can create electrical sparks, which can lead to explosion hazards or contaminate the external shell of the microwave.

Solution: When using the microwave for cooking, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and use the recommended utensils mentioned in the user manual. This ensures your safety and increases the lifespan of the microwave.

Putting metallic objects in the microwave
Putting metallic objects in the microwave

7. Regularly Cooking with High Power

For busy families, it is common to use the microwave for dishes that require a lot of energy and cooking time, such as grilling or roasting. However, this can overload the microwave, resulting in the risk of explosion and electrical leakage.

The reason behind this situation is that cooking with high power and using high voltage in the microwave can create unabsorbed radiation, leading to sparks and subsequent electrical contamination in the microwave.

Solution: To prevent this situation, it is advised to limit cooking for an extended period to protect the microwave’s durability and ensure your safety. Additionally, you may consider purchasing microwaves specifically designed for high-power cooking, such as models with grill or convection functions, to handle dishes that require more time and energy without overloading the microwave.

Regularly cooking with high power
Regularly cooking with high power

By understanding the causes and applying simple remedies, you can continue to use the microwave safely and effectively. Don’t forget to regularly check and follow the user guide to protect the device and yourself from unwanted situations.